The Amazonia Verde Project proposes to conserve nearly 73M hectares (24.5M ha directly and 48.5M ha indirectly) by 2025 by empowering Indigenous Peoples and local communities and pioneering new financial mechanisms to advance conservation investments and incentives. The long-term conservation of the Amazon rainforest requires capacities, will, and finance. CI will build the capacities of IPLCs to lead on their own and give them the tools to access the funding they need to carry out their own initiatives to conserve forests and support livelihoods. Project activities will benefit more than 68,000 men, women and children in total.
The Operations Manager is part of the Program Management Unit (PMU) and is responsible for all financial and operational aspects of the project.
The Operations Manager ensures compliance with CI’s policies and procedures as well as the highest standards in accounting and finance, budgeting and reporting, project management and all operational policies related to the execution of the project.
The primary role of the Manager is to ensure the project maintain accurate, timely accounting records in compliance with CI policy, US GAAP, local accounting policies, local laws and donor requirements, as well as maintain timely and relevant financial information needed to make informed decisions. She/he ensures that sound donor and grant management policies and practices are understood, adopted and implemented by the 7 implementing teams, with particular attention to procurement, grants and contracts. She/he leads budget and revenue forecasting and monitoring efforts, provides support for fundraising proposals, and develops budgets, financial projections, financial reporting and strategic plans.
In addition, the Operations Manager oversees the program’s operational resources. She/he ensures operation functions are efficient and effective and continually looks for improvements that increase efficiency, productivity and operational capacity.
The Operations Manager as part of the AFD Regional team, works in close coordination with her/his colleagues, with country offices and with HQ during the implementation of the project as well as during evaluations, audits and/or any other requirement coming from the organization.
Reporting to financial Management
- Review and oversee accounting related to the project, ensure transactions are properly and timely recorded, classified, and supported with appropriate documentation. Work with the country programs, with the division and/or HQ staff to resolve variances.
- Ensure that CIs accounting policies and procedures, local law and other regulatory requirements are followed during the project implementation.
- Review the PASC and Fringe benefit calculations are correctly recorded
- Review the FXrate variances, analysis on how this impacts the budget and communicate in advance to take timely decisions
- Review financial data and transactions to ensure the accuracy of financial reports.
- Ensure compliance with reporting standards, CI policies and donor/partner requirements.
- Prepare Financial Reports in accordance with donor reporting requirements and deadlines.
- Prepare monthly financial monitoring reports to identify overspent amounts, past-due project, outstanding expenses and reports in Concur, credit card transactions and others in order to prepare timely corrections
- Review One Line Summary Report, ITD and other budget reports with SDO - AFD to ensure a zero-risk financial management
- Ensure compliance with donor agreements.
- Ensure the effective and efficient stewardship of CI’s financial resources.
Project Budget Management
- Manage the project’s budget. Work with the Program Lead, Country Leads, and other CI divisions/country programs to identify and implement follow-up actions when necessary.
- Control the budget assigned to the project, maintaining pertinent levels of expenses according to the approved budget and the deadlines indicated for the project.
- Ensure alignment of country programs budgets monthly and monitor burn rates/analysis.
- Based on the budget execution, communicate to the project team about implementation, deadlines, pending tasks and recommend amendments or budget reformulation if required
- Develop annual budgeting for the project, provide review and support to Country programs in annual budgeting process.
- Lead quarterly, annual and ad-hoc budgeting and financial modeling for the project.
- Support fundraising proposal efforts.
- Provide quarterly budget execution report to the program lead and other financial reports as requested.
Project Grants and Contracts Management
- Follow CI Global policies and procedures for Grants and Contracts management.
- Oversee grants and contracts administration financed by the project
- Develop and implement the Procurement Plan for the project, optimizing the use of resources
- Follow the procurement policies and procedures for the acquisition of goods and services
- Complete all the information required in BW / CMF
- Monthly monitoring of the implementation in both Grants and Contracts
- Alert the project team of possible delays in implementation, lack of reporting, presentation of products, etc.
- Ensure the financial reports from partners are complete, accurate, and once the technical reports are approved proceed with the corresponding disbursement
- Once the Grants and Contracts are due, proceed with closing and update BW CMF.
- Ensure countries trained their staff and subgrantees on donor´s financial and operation requirements.
- Lead efforts to improve program efficiencies and effectiveness. Recommend changes in business processes and structure as needed. Align operation functions with program priorities, with a focus on internal client service and maximizing operational effectiveness.
- Support project to oversee the efficient management of accounting, finance, budgeting, projects, contracts, and payroll functions as needed.
- Develop and implement capacity building efforts to ensure the donor’s financial and operation requirements are understood, adopted and implemented adequately. Partner with management and HQ to ensure staff are engaged and are able to deliver results. Identify and implement training needs.
- Act as the main point person within the organization for any question related to the financial and operational management of the Amazonia Verde program.
- Support the Project Senior Director and other project team members in following procedures and compliance of HR policies and needs, such as Timesheets completion, annual goals setting and performance appraisal, among others.
Risk Mgmt. & Compliance
- Ensure that local regulations such as statutory deductions, severance, audits and taxes are accurately documented, properly calculated, accounted for, and paid in each of the country programs and regional unit.
- Ensure insurance coverage is properly placed in each of the implementing countries and in the regional unit.
People & Resources Management Responsibilities
- Work closely with the project leaders in technical planning and budgeting it.
- Work closely with project leaders in developing their procurement plans and consolidate this information in the program's annual procurement plan.
- Work closely with the Financial and Accounting Teams in monitoring project expenses and the necessary reclassifications to ensure compliance with the requirements of each donor.
- Work closely with project leaders in monthly budget monitoring.
- Gains the respect and trust of the operations team through timely and accurate communication practices, and clear and concise team direction. Lead by example.
- Local contract aligned with project term of 30 months
- Duty station will be determined at a later date, depending on the profiles of the applicants.
- Primarily in an office environment.
- Expected to travel as needed to countries and field where the project implementation takes place.
- Bachelor´s degree with a focus in Accounting, Finance, or Business Administration is required.
- Minimum of 3 years in hands-on accounting experience, financial management, projects implementation.
- Preferably with some non-profit experience.
- Experience in planning and monitoring budgets.
- Experience with diverse funding environment including US and European governments, multi-laterals, and large foundations.
- Background in public accounting or internal audit.
- Specific experience with accounting systems.
- Specific experience in financial controls, and operational / process improvement.
- Analytical: Utilizes effective problem solving and decision-making models.
- Capacity to analyze trends and tendencies and to translate this information in the review and development of the program’s strategic directions.
- English language proficiency. (TOEFL, IELTS, TOEIC certificate etc.) and Spanish language proficiency.
- Competence with Microsoft Office tools: Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, SharePoint, etc.
- Highly organized and ability to manage multiple priorities simultaneously in a dynamic environment.
- Strong communication and presentation skills including the ability to effectively convey complex details or technical information.
- Management of databases and computer programs for the preparation and analysis of financial reports.
- Proven ability to conduct research, solve problems, prepare/update supporting documentation and maintain records.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of a team, to exercise tact and diplomacy and maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to work under pressure and successfully meet deadlines.
- Flexible and creative.
- Experience working with diverse groups.
- Excellent analytical and financial management skills.
- Ability to communicate complex financial information for both the finance area and those who are not specialists.
- Ability to organize and manage time.
- Teamwork and able to work effectively with various work groups in a multicultural environment.
- Excellent skills in written and verbal communication.
- Demonstrated ability to multitask and meet priorities.
- Ability to work in an accelerated environment with changing priorities and under minimal supervision.
- Commitment to the organization, its mission and its goals.
- Disciplined, with a spirit of collaboration and good interpersonal relationships.
- Ability to prioritize tasks.
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Honesty and Integrity.
- Ease to interact with multicultural teams.
- Discretion and reliability
Applicants must submit their CV in English and a cover letter of interest (1 page maximum), including salary requirements
Application Deadline: August 10, 2020
See all Conservation International Career Opportunities HERE
Conservation International Values
We expect that all employees will embrace the values of our organization.
- Passion: Inspired by people and by nature, we are urgently compelled to drive change for a sustainable future.
- Integrity: We are honest, transparent and accountable for our actions.
- Teamwork: We work together as one CI, recognizing that inclusion, collaboration and cooperation are fundamental to achieving a healthy and prosperous world for all.
- Respect: We respect each other and work to earn trust, valuing our diversity of cultures, talents, and experiences.
- Courage: We pursue our vision, taking bold action, persevering and overcoming challenges.
- Optimism: We are optimistic about the capacity of people to be caring, generous and brilliant, and believe that with partners, we can inspire humanity to create a better future.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Vets/Disabled
Apply Here: https://chu.tbe.taleo.net/chu04/ats/careers/v2/applyRequisition?org=CONSERVATION&cws=39&rid=1369